Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Winter



Sunday we got about ten inches of snow, and this morning it was -3 degrees when we got up. It was one of those mornings where everything was covered in ice. Every twig, every barb on the wire, every tiny weed sticking up from the snow. It was so beautiful, especially after the sun rose and it all sparkled. It’s one of those things that’s difficult to capture on film, but here’s my shot – a weeping willow tree, completely encased in ice.

Later, when it warmed all the way up to 17(!), all the frost started falling off the trees and flittering to the ground. It looked like it was snowing, but nope – just coming off the trees in giant pieces.

My parents went to Mexico this past weekend and their favorite part about the trip was being warm. Then they returned to this … like I’ve said before, I’ll never complain, because I knew what Michigan was like before I chose to live here.

But mornings like this certainly make winter worth it. Sure, the pool cover is straining under all the snow, the belt froze on the feeder, and the roads are slippery. I can still appreciate the beauty of today’s morning.

Not to say I’d say no to Mexico right now. I like winter, but I’m not crazy.

No comments: