Saturday, February 19, 2011

Rural myth



In college, I was at a party. A guy said, "You're from a dairy farm? I went cow tipping once."

I laughed, thinking he was joking. I said, "Cow tipping is fake. It's just a joke ... like country kids would take city kids out to a field to go 'cow tipping' and then leave them there." (I never did this to anyone, nor did anyone I know. It's just one of those rural myths. Both the tipping and the joking.)

"No, I did it!" he said. "We just walked up to it and pushed it over."

"Really," I replied. "They don't sleep standing up. A cow wouldn't stand still if you pushed on it. And they weigh 1000 pounds. How could you possibly push one over?"

"I just did," he said.

I just laughed and walked away. The truth wasn't going to sway him. Perhaps that's the same night he also went pegasus riding and unicorn hunting.

2 comments:

Jules said...

! The post I've been waiting for! I'm so happy you've put this myth to pasture. :)

Aimee said...

Don't forget Snipe hunting. He probably caught one on his first try.