Monday, April 30, 2012

Rainy Monday

Hooray - we can breathe a sigh of relief for another planting season. Kris finished planting last night!

My dad, though he's retired, always helps when we ask. Last night he went to get more corn seed so Kris didn't have to stop to do it. It also rained last night and today, so Kris was especially glad he was done. It's too rainy to plant today, but the seeds should love it! (As much as a plant can express love.)

A third heifer calf was born this morning. Three heifers is a good start. Now we expect a run of bulls. It's just the way it works, but it always seems to even out in the end. (Literally.)

****

Sue Lounds of the Clinton County News wrote a nice article called 'St Johns middle school students get healthy lessons', where as a representative of Michigan Milk Producers Association (MMPA) and United Dairy Industry of Michigan (UDIM), I educated kids about dairy and handed out milk.

She wrote another article called 'Go Fly a Kite Day' for St Johns spray park is May 12.' I'm helping with fundraising for the spray park and Uncle John's Cider Mill is hosting this event. I hope we have a great turnout. I'm thankful to Uncle John's, too. I've been going there since I was a little girl, and I've seen it evolve from a cider mill into a tourist destination! It's super fun to go there and see agritourism flourishing.

While I love seeing the rain today, I don't want it to rain at all on May 12 from 11-4.  Some farmers might.  It doesn't matter ... the weather doesn't pay attention to any of us.

No comments: