Sunday, January 2, 2011

Hello, new year

Kris and I spent a few days in Chicago to celebrate the new year. On New Year's Eve it was 55 degrees, the next day 15 degrees, with a wind chill of 0!

Driving back, Kris commented on how this weather was really nice for farmers. All the snow melted, but it's freezing, so everything isn't sloppy and messy. Everything stays cleaner - equipment as well as cattle.

It made me think about how your attitudes about weather change. A friend told me this summer, "I was depressed it was raining, but then I thought - Carla said her crops needed rain. So then I was happy for you, anyway! I never thought about it that way before."

When we were walking to dinner one night, two girls stopped us to ask where a certain hotel was. We didn't know that one, and Kris added, "We don't live here." "Oh! Okay!" she said. You never want to look like a tourist, so we were glad we blended in. (The Carhartt label on Kris' winter hat was very small.)

So as you look out over your frozen, snowless view (check local listings), remember that it's making some farmers very happy. Even farmers in the big city.

No comments: