Friday, May 22, 2015

First cutting - done!




Yesterday Kris left the house at 4:00 a.m. to help dry up the cows, move cattle, work on a fence, and chop.  He chopped all day until he came home at 9:30 p.m..  We told each other about our days and he went to bed at 10:00 p.m.

I went to the airport to pick up his sister and husband (Meghan and Jon) at 11:30 p.m.  We stayed up talking until 1:00 a.m.  I said, "I'd better go to bed."  Jon said, "We could just wait up for Kris ... he'll be leaving in three hours!"

Yes!  Today Kris left the house at 4:00 a.m. again, fed and chopped until 9:30 a.m. when he came home to see Meghan and Jon.  At this point I convinced him that he should help me open the pool, but it was ONLY ten minutes of physical labor.  He left at 11:00 a.m. to chop again.  They finished chopping at 8:00 p.m. and they're covering the pile of first cutting alfalfa with tires and plastic. They'll all eat pizza together and come home about 10:30 p.m.

When I said Kris' schedule to a friend, she said something like, "Poor guy," and I was surprised and felt I had to explain.  Kris likes the busy season!

He likes when the harvest goes well, when the weather cooperates, when the machinery works, and when it all comes together nicely.  He finds it very satisfying to look at a giant pile of alfalfa and grass that was harvested at just the right time and under the right conditions.  It's always satisfying to put up feed that you know will be ready for your cattle in the winter.

So ... yes, he needs sleep, but he doesn't complain.  He'll even help take off your pool cover if you ask nicely enough.


If you want to know more, you can like my farm page on Facebookfollow @carlashelley on twitter, or get the posts sent to your email by filling out the form on the right. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me! 

No comments: