Sunday, April 17, 2011

It's a small, windy world

I’m not going to complain that it was snowing this morning. Or that it’s only 40 degrees right now. I’m not even going to complain that it’s incredibly, wildly windy. I just saw the damage the tornadoes did in the south - so at least we’re not having those! (If we have some later today, just assume the roof came off, because that’s what it sounds like is going to happen.)

&&&

We went to a party last night and I met a girl who was from the same town as one of my college roommates. Sure enough, she knew her. It somehow came up that she grew up on a dairy farm. She said her brother now milks about 1500 cows. I didn’t know him, and Kris didn’t know him either. We were all a little surprised. She said, “There aren’t that many young people going into farming!”

Kris and I talked about it later – there are lots of farms around here. You’d think that we’d know them all, but we don’t! With all the organizations we’re in, all the meetings we go to, and all the people our parents know, there are still farms we’ve never heard of. Big farms!

But there’s another one down. Later, when I hear the name of that farm, I can say I know his sister . . . plus bring up that college roommate.

No comments: