Saturday, November 19, 2011

Learning

1. During MSU home football games they often show an entertaining clip where the team members answer a question.  This week's question was: What's your favorite Thanksgiving side dish?  Fully half of the team members answered 'macaroni and cheese'.  We've never had macaroni and cheese at Thanksgiving, but I applauded the dairy inclusion in the meal. 

2. We were eating some eggs I got from my neighbors.  My son said, "I hope that egg doesn't have a chick in it!"  I explained about how some eggs are going to be chickens and some aren't with some vague details, then had to consult the internet for the rest of it.  After all, I'm not a chicken farmer - to get to explanation-level I needed some backup.  Do you know how you tell what color eggs a chicken will lay?  In general, by the color of their earlobes.  White ear lobes, white eggs.  Red earlobes, brown eggs.  (Exceptions are the Easter Egger, Ameraucana, and Araucana. Their egg colors range from green to blue to pink to occasionally lavender.)  The first time my father-in-law told me this, I couldn't tell whether he was joking with me.

3. While tailgating, we met another farmer.  He asked about a farm in Kris' parents' area, asking - "Don't they feed all haylage?"  I thought it was funny that he would know about another farm based solely on what they fed their herd.  People in this job really pay attention to what other farms are doing!  We're all interested.

We've been farming for almost five years, but there's always more to learn.  I know almost nothing about cow earlobes.  Yet.

No comments: