Sunday, December 2, 2012

Learning

There was a point in my life that I realized my dad knew how to fix everything.  I asked him how, and he answered, "I don't know how to fix everything.  But I know how to fix lots of things because ... I fixed them.  I learned by doing." 

Then I married someone who also seemed confident he could fix things - or at least try.

Kris told me that this morning while dad was helping him, something on the mixer wagon broke and my dad fixed it so Kris could continue feeding.

I asked Kris if he would've known how to fix it, and he said yes - it was just something small.  Dad did it to help out and save time.  If Kris had been alone, he'd have had to fix that AND feed and probably been late to church.

I sort of laughed, because we've been here six years now and Kris gets lots of opportunities to fix things around the farm!  Like all farmers - and business owners - you have to figure out what you can and can't fix and when you need to call in someone else to do it.

So there's on-the-job-learning every day.  Hopefully, not so much when we have places to be.

No comments: