Friday, June 10, 2011

Generations

Shelly Strautz-Springborn from Farm World interviewed me about blogging in her article, 'Michigan Ag Council hopes to reach non-aggies through blog'.

When I read where she calls me a "fifth-generation" farmer, I had to calculate. I told Kris, "Well, it was my great grandpa who started this farm, but that only makes me fourth generation. But my great great grandpa was also a farmer, just a few miles over. So I AM fifth generation, but not all in the same place."

Kris pointed out that you don't have to farm on the same farm to be considered a generational farmer. True.

No matter what generation farmer you are, some things are different, some the same.

Like look at my great great grandpa Gabriel Anderson and me. We both have to deal with the weather and cattle health. We both have three sons.

Differences? He fought in the Civil War, and I ... block out time each day for blogging.

1 comment:

Emily said...

What a great article. I know I have learned a lot from reading your blog and it is very entertaining too!