Thursday, March 5, 2015

MSU Agronomy Club

I was talking to my friend on the phone and told her I was on my way to speak to the MSU Agronomy Club.

"Agronomy?  Is that a combination of agriculture and ... astronomy?" she asked.

"Well, of course!  You know the milky way," I said.

"And the mooooooon," she laughed.  "Look at all the material I'm giving you!"

So yes, tonight I had the honor of speaking to a group of MSU students from a range of disciplines - crop and soil sciences, horticulture, agribusiness, and animal science.

When I first got there, they were talking about college student things.  One guy said he couldn't buy milk, because he kept letting it go sour.  A girl said she left cider AND milk in a fridge for a month. Another guy said that he left bread for so long that the mold was yellow.  Another guy said that he had to tell his mom that Parmesan cheese was supposed to be kept in the fridge, not the cupboard.

"Do you cut the mold off of cheese and then eat the rest of it?" I asked.

The room answered: "Of course!"
"Everyone does that!"
"Cheese is kind of like mold anyway."

I love college students.

It was fun speaking to them, and they also had good questions afterward.  I really enjoyed it - as anyone would seeing a group of smart, driven college students!

I ran into two people I knew - Taylor Truckey, who I happened to sit next to on a plane to Kansas last fall, and Matt Thelen, who I've known so long that I once taught him how to swim!

Agriculture really is a small community, in a wonderful way.  Agronomy ... the final frontier.


If you want to know more about the farm, you can like my farm page on Facebook, follow @carlashelley or get the posts in your email by filling out the form on the right.

No comments: