Monday, October 22, 2012

Crop farm

Apparently, I like to spend my weekends visiting my friends on farms.  That's what we did again, but this time in Illinois!  We went to visit a longtime friend who also quit Caterpillar to farm with his family. 

They are cash crop farmers and they grow corn and soybeans.  He showed us around his fields, their buildings, and their new grain elevator.  I'd never really seen how an elevator works before - it takes in the corn, dries, and stores it - and of course it's all computerized and technologically advanced like all farming is now.



Central Illinois looks so different than mid-Michigan.  You can certainly tell that their soil is meant to grow crops, and that our soil is meant to house dairy farms! 

Their soil: Black.  I mean, really black.  They have potting soil.

Our soil: Light brown.

Their fields:  Crops, or harvested crops, as far as the eye can see.

Our fields: Crops, broken up by trees and treelines and houses and buildings.

Their land:  Hundreds of acres uninterrupted.

Our land: Acres really interrupted.  Definitely smaller fields.

As I kept commenting, there's a reason our state is full of dairy farms and theirs is full of crops.  That's what we're each made for!

The six-hour drive was even fine.  As we passed barns, fields, and crops, we discussed every detail of them.  Driving in farm country is never boring.

We got to meet new people, see our old friends, and had a great time.  Then it was time to return home ... back to putting our noses to the grindstone.

If you saw a grindstone like this, wouldn't you pose?  Our friend said I was the first.  I like bringing idioms to life.  Now I'll be killing two birds with one stone, betting the farm, and partying 'til the cows come home.

1 comment:

CrazyNutsMom said...

You are a busy lady! Looks like you are keeping your nose to the grind stone though ;)

You have inspired me to really look at the farms along my travels.