Thursday, December 10, 2015

The best Christmas cookies in the world


Every year since I've moved home the neighborhood women have had a Christmas cookie party.  I always try to make it because 1) I love parties, 2) I love making pretty food, and 3) I love seeing what other people make!  

Everyone brings cookies and we set them all out for an impressive display worth oohs and ahhs.


Ooooh...


Ahhh....


I made these:


The hostess, Phyllis, had a beautifully decorated house and showed us some of her projects - like the christening gown she just made from a wedding dress for the new baby in her family.




When Phyllis showed this to us, she said, "I HATE cleaning!  But I could do this all day."  We all heartily agreed.  Our neighbor said, "Sometimes I think I spend too much time putting up our Christmas decorations, but then I think - what else would I rather be doing?"  My mom said, "I think that too - I could be doing what I want to do, or I could be scrubbing floors."

Many of the women there I've known my entire life, and some I've just met when I moved back to the neighborhood.  There were even a few mother/daughter sets!




Phyllis sent us all home from the party with our own homemade favor - the cutest little dishtowel.


This was the first year I've been to the party without kids.  My boys are all in school now ... luckily people are still bringing kids and babies.



So ... the best Christmas cookies in the world?  Ones that your neighbors made for you, you eat beside them, and you all agree there's nothing else you'd rather be doing.

So!  I'm participating in a #DairyChristmas community blog post.  Since the party was all about friendship and cookies, I'd like to share this very dairy, Christmas-y dessert.  It can be eaten cold, warm, for dessert or for breakfast (if you're me).

Butterscotch Bread Pudding

Ingredients:

1 loaf French bread, torn into pieces
4 cups milk
2 cups brown sugar
½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
3 eggs beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup butterscotch chips

Directions:

Butter a 9×13-inch baking dish. Heat oven to 350°F.

In bowl, combine bread, milk, sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla and butterscotch chips. Mix well until bread is wet. Pour into prepared dish.

Bake 50 minutes, until nearly set. It should have a pudding wiggle to it. Serve warm or cold. Best enjoyed with friends.

Looking for more?  Sadie Frericks organized the #DairyChristmas community and we're all participating today!  Here are posts and recipes from dairy farmers around the country!


If you want to know more about the farm, like the page on Facebook, follow me on Twitter@carlashelley, or get posts sent to you by email.  Sign up - the form is on the right side of the page. 

No comments: