Monday, April 11, 2016

Smithsonian video chat on April 15!

I'm so excited!

The Smithsonian's National Museum of American History is showcasing an Ask a Farmer program to encourage conversations between museum visitors and farmers about agriculture.  

Ask A Farmer "connects museum visitors to farmers nationwide for real-time conversations" via video chat.  I'm the farmer for this Friday, April 15!  

Basically, I'll be at home answering questions from the museum patrons.  They'll project my video call up at the museum's exhibition on American Enterprise.

I was lucky enough to visit this exhibition when I was in Washington DC this winter:
  
Like many farms, the exhibit had old equipment ...



It showcased barbed wire, which made me especially happy, because we used to live in DeKalb, IL, home to the patent owner Joseph Glidden.  We even lived on Annie Glidden Road.



They had a tractor simulator ...


A favorite quote about farming ...


And some real truisms:



We also communicate about farming!  My hope for this video chat is that there are great conversations, interested people, and please, please ... let my incredibly-rural internet connection work the entire time.  

For more information, you can go to the Smithsonian Ask A Farmer.  

2 comments:

Cindy Fuhrman said...

That is so cool Carla!

Carla said...

Thank you, Cindy! And thanks for reading. : )