Monday, January 20, 2014

Homemade snow ice cream, anyone ... or everyone?



We recently had a huge snowstorm and the kids had an extra three days off of school. 

On Facebook, I saw videos where some friends were throwing boiling water outside and watching it turn to snow in midair.  What fun - and I couldn't believe I hadn't heard of that yet.  We did it (many times) and had a blast.

Also, my friend Jordan posted about making snow ice cream.  It seemed so easy ... you just had to mix:

4-5 cups of snow
1 cup of milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Again, I couldn't believe I'd never heard of it.  Soon everyone country-wide was posting about making and eating it.

First, the boiling water, and then this?!  Sledding, ice skating, snowshoeing - these are all wintery things I enjoy.  Was it possible there were more?  We'd see how it'd turn out.

I went out in the blustery, freezing cold and the kids watched me scoop five cups of snow into a bowl.  It was powdery, almost like sand.

We went inside and they helped me add the other three ingredients.  We stirred a couple of times.  They also put sprinkles on top.

Now for the real test!  The taste.

My whole life, our church has had a yearly homemade ice cream event.  When I was young, I remember making it with my family and it seemed like it took forever.  But it was worth it, because I love, love, love homemade ice cream. 

And making this?  Immediate gratification, because it tasted just like the homemade ice cream from the past!  The boys loved it too.

My mom was there while we did it, and she'd never heard of making ice cream like this either.  She told her friends, and they hadn't heard of it either!  Maybe church should have their ice cream social only during snowstorms.

So, here in the cold, we're throwing boiling water in the air and eating the snow.  Who says winter is boring?

No comments: