Friday, May 13, 2022

A history of work

Kris at work
                                           

When I was in first grade, my mom told me she had gotten a part-time job. I was sad, thinking that she wouldn't be home when I was home. She explained to me that since it was part-time, she was going to be there when I was. It's not like she wasn't working already - she was the township treasurer, and she also helped on the farm. She worked the rest of my home life and until retirement age, in three different, enjoyable and good bookkeeper jobs, never more than seven miles from home. It worked out great. My dad was farming all this time, and he always credits my mom for helping support our family. 

My dad also really admires my grandma Caroline Anderson for getting her education degree after she had her five kids, then teaching and helping support their family while my grandpa farmed. She had already graduated from MSU with a degree in home economics - that's where she and my grandma met - but she returned to be able to teach. 

Kris' mom also always worked while her husband Mike was farming, whether she was making stained glass art or owning a quilt shop or accounting for the golf course. Kris' grandma had off-farm jobs too, including being a secretary, a typist, and driving a school bus from 1965 to 1989. 

I have always also had an off-farm job. Of course I help out here whenever I'm needed, but I've always worked contract or full-time since college. Kris and the team are doing the work on the farm. Sometimes people ask me if I keep the books, because a lot of families divide up work that way, but that is probably the last job I would do. Kris does those too.

When people ask me what I do, I say "I'm a writer, and my husband and I own a dairy farm," and depending on whatever part of the answer interests them, they'll ask about that. I feel very fortunate that I've had a career as a writer since 2001, starting with my first job out of grad school. I've written and worked for industries from agriculture to health care to software to GPS tracking for fleet vehicles. 

I'm also strong on the dairy farmer side, having grown up on one and now an owner of one. I love talking about it, living here, and being a part of it all. I live and breathe it. Literally!

Yesterday I was in an online meeting, and I introduced myself to some people in there from around the country. I included that I live on a dairy farm. After I gave my work update, my coworker running the meeting said, "Raise your hand if you like milk or cheese!" The nine people onscreen laughed and raised their hands. 

So, here's to farming, here's to off-farm workers, and here's to heading into the weekend, where in some jobs it matters and some it doesn't. We're very thankful to be farming, and I'm also glad I have a phone in my hand and a computer on my desk to share it with you.

Me at work

No comments: